Welcome to Winchester Rugby Football Club Girls
Established in 2015 we are a group of enthusiastic and energetic rugby players supported by a team of fabulous coaches.
We are divided across all age groups with those girls in the Under 11 and lower age groups training and playing in mixed boy/ girl sessions to develop their skills. Thereafter the girls are split out to train and play in blended age groups of Under 13’s (academic years 7 & 8), Under 15’s (years 9 & 10) and Under 18’s (year 11 and both 6th form years). This is in line with RFU policy.
We focus on skills development and tailored coaching delivered in a fun and supportive way.
If you are new to rugby or to the Club and thinking about joining we’d love to welcome you to Winchester RFC. New starters should come to the appropriate pitch and introduce themselves to a member of the coaching team or manager.
You will need to sign a ‘Consent to Play Form’ on arrival which entitles your daughter to two trial sessions. After both of these sessions you will need to become a member of the club if you wish to continue at Winchester.
Training and logistics
Our first session of the 2016-17 season is at 10.30am on Sunday 4th September.
Please arrive promptly to register so we are ready for a quick start to the training session.
Pitches for the U13, 15 and 18 girls age groups are located adjacent to the U7’s and U8’s boys training areas and may be subject to change at short notice, depending on tournaments, ground conditions and availability of pitches. Please refer to the links for the location of the mixed training sessions (ie U7’s, 8’s, 9’s, 10’s and 11’s).
Sessions will last approximately one and a half hours and we must have an emergency contact for your daughter from either a parent or guardian prior to your daughter joining a training session.
• For all sessions we ask that each player arrives suitably dressed for the conditions, is fit, well and free from all injuries.
• It is also advisable to bring a water bottle; frequent short breaks are taken through out the training session.
• Mouthguards are mandatory and your child will not be allowed to take any part in a session if they do not wear a mouthguard / gumshield. These are available from the club shop if needed.
• Please ensure all boots have IRB approved studs and that these are of good condition and tightened regularly. The world rugby requirements for studs can be found here -http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?documentid=51
• Body armour and scrum caps / head guards should also have the IRB logo to ensure it is approved.
• Tracksuits and other tops with zips, jewellery and glasses are not permitted to be worn for rugby. Nails are also to be kept trimmed.
The Coaching Team U13’s, U15’s and U18’s.
All members of our team are DBS checked and appropriately qualified to deliver training in a safe, inclusive and fun way.
➢ Charlotte Betteridge– Coach (L1) and first aider
➢ Matthew - Lead Coach (L2) and first aider
➢ Sarah Shewry – Girls Chair, Safeguarding officer and Membership Secretary
➢ Siân Duxbury – Team Manager
➢ Tim Meldrum – Coach (LRR)
L1 - Level 1 “Coaching Children” is a three day course and is the first milestone in coaching, providing guidance up to U12s.
RR - Rugby Ready is a programme which covers the key Health and Safety elements of play and in particular contact.
We are always looking for more volunteers to help in anyway so please let us know if you can assist.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Aims for the season
We propose to continue with the same aims for this season but would welcome suggestions from parents
• All activities are enjoyable for all
• All players have noticeably improved their rugby skills over the course of the season and can safely tackle, be tackled and compete for the ball
• All players have increased confidence in their rugby playing
• All players can safely form a scrum and understand the principles of body positions
• All players will learn the importance of fitness and maintaining a healthy lifestyle
• As many players as possible are retained year on year and new players are encouraged to join the game
• All players will have the opportunity to take part in at least one tournament during the season (subject to willingness, logistics and training attendance)
• Aim to compete in targeted tournaments
• Players, parents and coaches actively support our codes of conduct, foster the spirit of the game and a supportive team environment
• We actively seek encouragement, support and constructive feedback from players, parents and coaches.
• Each player will train with a range of coaches.
Membership and registration
It is a Club requirement that each player is a paid up member of the Club and therefore players who are not members will not be permitted to train after September or play in fixtures during this period.
I would also like to remind you that your daughter must be registered with the RFU to play in a tournament. Registrations roll forward therefore if you completed this since joining you will not need to do it again this season.
As usual Siân can assist on both.
If you have any queries please feel free to talk to our coaches after any of the training sessions or use the team email address: email@example.com
Lead Coach WRFC Girls - U13’s, U15’s and U18’