Welcome to Winchester Rugby Football Club U11s
We are a squad of seventy players with a great team ethos, supported by a wonderful cohort of parents, coaches and managers. We focus on skills development and tailored coaching delivered in a fun and supportive way. Year 6 children are welcome to play in our U11’s team, and we welcome all comer’s new and old to the game!
Please see below for essential U11s information:-
If you are new to the Club or thinking about joining we welcome you to Winchester RFC.
New starters should come to the pitch and introduce themselves to a member of the coaching team.
You will need to sign a consent to play form on arrival which entitles your child to two trial sessions. After both of these sessions you will need to become a member of the club if you wish to continue at Winchester.
You can find additional information about the Winchester Minis section on our webpage:
Training and logistics
Our first session of the 2016-17 season is at 10am on Sunday 4th September.
As usual please arrive early to register so we are ready for a prompt start.
Pitches for the U11s season are on Devil's Island, on the right hand side - stretching down to the Bowling Club.
Sessions will last approximately 120 minutes.
All players must have a parent or guardian present at all times during training sessions and tournaments / fixtures.
For all sessions we ask that each child arrives suitably dressed for the conditions, is fit and well and brings a named water bottle.
Mouth guards are mandatory and your child will not be allowed to take any part in a session if they do not wear a mouthguard.
Please ensure all boots have IRB approved studs / equipment and that these are of good condition.
As usual tracksuits / tops with zips, jewellery and glasses are not permitted to be worn for rugby.
U11s coaching team
All our coaches are DBS checked and appropriately qualified to deliver training is a safe, inclusive and fun way.
We are always looking for more volunteers to help in anyway so please let us know if you can assist.
In particular we will again need a number of helpers for the two home WRFC tournaments again - including pitch marshalls and car park / logistics
Thanks in advance for your help
Aims for the season
We propose to continue with the same aims for this season but would welcome suggestions from parents
• All activities are enjoyable for all
• All players have noticeably improved their rugby skills over the course of the season and can safely tackle and be tackled
• All players can understand the principles of body positions
• As many players as possible progress to U12’s rugby
• All players will have the opportunity to take part in at least one tournament during the season (subject to willingness, logistics and training attendance)
• Aim to win targeted tournaments including Winchester, Hampshire and Nationals (as applicable)
• Players, parents and coaches actively support our codes of conduct, foster the spirit of the game and a supportive team environment
• We actively seek encouragement, support and constructive feedback from players, parents and coaches.
Membership and registration
It is a Club requirement that each player is a paid up member of the club and therefore players who are not members will not be permitted to train after September or play in fixtures during this period.
We would also like to remind you that your child must be registered with the RFU to play in a tournament. Registrations roll forward therefore if you completed this since joining you will not need to do it again this season.
As usual our managers can assist on both.
The U11s Rules
At the weblink below you can find the new U11 Rules:-
Key changes this season are:-
• Team numbers: 9-a-side
• Maximum pitch size: 60 metres x 43 metres
• Ball Size: 4
• Introduction of the contested scrum - nearest 3 players
• 3 Players in from each side at the ruck
* The advent of kicking - drop kick from restart and tactical kicking in-game
A schedule of fixtures for the coming season can be found on our website
This will be updated throughout the season as fixtures change.
We have supplemented this with additional fixtures / joint training sessions to ensure we have a good level of competitive play.
With a squad of our size we will continue to rotate players to ensure each child has a fair number of fixtures. As usual, selection for these fixtures has been based on the criteria of training attendance, ability, fitness and inclusion.
If you have any queries please feel free to talk to any of the coaches after any session.
Lead Coach U11s